Thursday, September 27, 2012

22 Asen Zlatarov: The Center of Sofia's Iowa Community

I spent Wednesday morning editing an article while waiting to hear back about one of the apartments I'd viewed.  Except for a brief walk to get lunch, most of the day was spent around my hotel so I would have Internet access.  Finally, in the late afternoon I received word that we had reached an agreement, and could meet the next morning to take care of formalities.

I enjoyed dinner al fresca at a nearby restaurant and tried to get to sleep at a decent hour; unfortunately I kept thinking of questions to ask or things to check related to the apartment.  I woke up this morning (Thursday) and after breakfast packed my bags and conditionally checked out on the possibility that the apartment would work out and that I'd be able to move in immediately.  About 90 minutes later I had the keys to our new apartment in my hand!    It's located on Asen Zlatarov St. in the Doctor's Garden neighborhood.  The neighborhood is very nice - quiet cobblestone streets, shops and restaurants, a Catholic church a few doors down, several embassies around the corner, and some nice parks within blocks.  The apartment itself is a two-bedroom flat in a newer building, with a small kitchen, entryway, fairly spacious living/dining room, and a small balcony. 

After running to the market to get a few things I took the bus back to the hotel to collect my bags.  I took a taxi back so I could go straight to the apartment with my bags.  The fare for the 15 minute, 4 mile trip?  3.50 Lev, or a little over $2.00.  I tipped generously.

This afternoon I've been straightening things up, unpacking a bit, and exploring the neighborhood.  I do not yet have Internet in the apartment, so I am now sitting in the courtyard of Sofia University, about an eight minute walk.  Hopefully I'll be connected early next week. 

Tomorrow and Saturday is Fulbright orientation.  I'm excited to meet the other Fulbright Scholars and some our hosts.
Six of my new chairs.

No comments:

Post a Comment