Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Farewell to Sofia


If you’ve followed my blog you know that I have enjoyed my time in Sofia and will take away many fond memories.  One thing that made this time special was being able to share it with my family.  Seeing Sofia through my daughter’s eyes helped me appreciate some of the simple things that I might otherwise have overlooked.  We were able to spend a lot of time together and to travel as a family.  It was nice to step back from the schedules and expectations that we otherwise accept as being inevitable. 

The other thing that made my time especially meaningful was the people that I met.  I don’t know if this was luck, or due to my efforts at outreach, or just the nature of the Bulgarian people, but I made some very good friends.  (I suspect it was a bit of each, actually.)  The last person I saw as I left was our doorman.  We’ve never had a conversation where we were able to understand more than three words the other said, but we communicated a lot.  He was incredibly sweet with Norah, and always put a smile on our faces.  When I left the building for the last time with my suitcases, he gave me a hug.  I said “dovishdane,” the Bulgarian word for goodbye.  He shook his head and said “doscoro,” meaning “see you soon.”  It was a good way to leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment