Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Convocation


Monday marked the start of the academic year at Sofia University, and I attended the law department’s convocation.  Speakers included the dean and vice-dean, and Bulgaria’s Minister for Justice (who I recognized from a profile I'd read in Bulgaria Air's in-flight magazine).  Student awards were also presented.  Although I didn’t understand the remarks, it was still enjoyable to be a part of this start-of-year tradition and feel the buzz of students returning.
                                              
Minister for Justice Diana Kovatcheva
I took a stroll along Yanko Sakazov Blvd. in the afternoon to orient myself to the larger neighborhood.  This is a bigger street and is lined with shops on the south side; on the north is Zaimov Park.  I think between the small shops within a block or two of our apartment and the larger shops slightly further away on Sakazov, we’ll be able to find most daily necessities. 

I also lined up WiFi service for the apartment, and it should be installed yet this week.  I’m told that Bulgaria has the third-fastest Internet speed in the world, and it’s also inexpensive.  If I understood everything correctly (and there’s always a chance I didn’t, but this seems consistent with what others have told me), our monthly charge for 25 Mbps service is approximately 19 Leva (~ $12) including installation, modem, and router.  And this is the month-to-month rate without a fixed duration; with an 18-month contract it would have been only 15 Leva.

 Monday evening I met my neighbors directly above me, Yanko and Rosa.  They are an older couple, and his great-grandfather purchased the lot that our building sits on back in 1891 (the deed is framed in their hallway).  About ten years ago this apartment building was constructed on the site of the old house.  They seem very nice, and their son’s family lives in Kentucky so they’ve picked up a bit of English.  Yanko serves as a building manager of sorts, so he provided some useful practical information.

I continued cleaning and organizing the apartment after dinner.  I think I’m at a point now where I can start working on research/writing and course preparation in a more focused manner.  And I’d almost feel confident delivering on this statement if it weren’t for the continued sunshine and 80-degree temperatures….

No comments:

Post a Comment