Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Home for a Rest

A rest is needed.  Saturday, Sunday, and Monday were spent almost exclusively writing, with the goal of finishing my current project, a chapter on the right to habeas corpus, by Monday night before leaving Sofia for a trip home on Tuesday.  I tend to be most productive in writing when I can work for extended periods of time, so I tried to make the most of the opportunity.  Thinking back, I’m not sure that I even left the apartment on Saturday or Sunday (though I will admit being a bit distracted Saturday morning reading the news of the Cardinals great come-from-behind win in Game 5 of their NLDS). 

Monday afternoon I walked to the university to work for a bit and for a meeting of the constitutional law department.  I met several more colleagues in the department, and we adjourned to the campus restaurant for a quick drink afterward.  After returning home I got back to work, taking a break only to pack and organize a taxi for early Tuesday.  Somewhat to my surprise, I achieved my goal around midnight, and was in bed shortly after.

It was a short night.  The alarm went off at 4:00 a.m. and by 4:30 I was in a cab to Sofia airport.  The main terminal is fairly new, and was a nice place to wait for my early Air France flight to Paris.  We arrived in Paris on-time, only to find that my incoming aircraft from Detroit was over two hours late.  Fortunately, they were able to execute a quick turn-around and we departed only about 90 minutes late.  We were able to make up time en route and arrived only about 30 minutes behind schedule.  Unfortunately, the flight from Detroit to Cedar Rapids was also delayed due to a late incoming flight.  Finally, after we boarded and pushed back from the gate, the captain informed us that there was a problem with the little flaps on the wings.  "We really need those flaps," he told us.  So, we deplaned, walked to a different gate to wait for another plane, and finally got under way about three hours behind schedule.  The mood was generally good, though, especially after the announcement that drinks would be compliments of the captain.  I was thrilled to see my family in Cedar Rapids around 8:00 p.m. CDT after about 24 total hours in transit.   

In reality, it might not be that much of a rest.  I’ll have a full day at home, and then travel to Montana for a family wedding Thursday through Monday.  I’ll have another full day before departing again next Wednesday.  I’m really looking forward to the trip back, since I’ll get to take my family along this time!

No comments:

Post a Comment