Tuesday, November 13, 2012

And Other Duties...

As a Fulbright lecturer, my primary responsibility is my teaching assignment at Sofia University.  As I've written before, I am really enjoying this and am very impressed by my students thus far.  It is quite a treat to have teaching as my primary focus since at home my teaching is in addition to my full-time administrative job.  I am also appreciative of the opportunity to develop a new course that I'm hoping perhaps I can teach again in other settings down the road.

Of course, the Fulbright program is about more than just teaching.  It provides a space for academic, professional, cultural, and personal exchange.  Fulbrighters are encouraged to build relationships with their host institution colleagues, to share their expertise and the American perspective beyond their assigned classroom, and to experience the local culture.  For those who know me, you are probably not surprised that this is appealing to me and fits well with my personality.

In the past few weeks, I've really begun to explore possibilities to pursue this type of engagement.  A couple of my faculty colleagues have invited me to speak in their classes.  The Fulbright Commission has put me in touch with a number of academic and professional contacts. I met with a local judge last week, and am planning to talk to a bar group here in Sofia about Iowa's experience with judicial retention elections over the past three years.  I've also discussed the possibility of giving talks with colleagues at several other universities in Bulgaria and surrounding countries.  I am hopeful that a few of these opportunities materialize, as it would allow me an opportunity to meet new people, perhaps see some new places, and give back a bit more to the Fulbright program.






No comments:

Post a Comment