Thursday, November 8, 2012

Happy Anniversary!


This year marks the 120th anniversary of the law faculty at Sofia University, the oldest in Bulgaria.  On Friday, the university hosted a ceremony to mark this occasion.  I was honored to attend the ceremony, which took place in the impressive main auditorium of the original university building.  Most of the members of the law faculty were in attendance, as well as others from the university, the legal community, and government. 
The main university building.

I sat with Maria Slavova, an associate professor of administrative law, and she provided me with a summarized translation of the proceedings.  Speakers included the current dean, current and former students, members of the bar, and government officials.  Despite the language barrier, I could tell that the speakers were conveying great pride in and affection for the law school. 

The ceremony had a certain degree of reverence without feeling overly formal.  For me, the highlight was a performance by a string orchestra made up entirely of members of the Sofia bar.  This was an older, and very talented group, and it prompted Maria to tell me “everyone in Bulgaria is talented.  You might not know it, but everyone has a talent.” 

So, happy anniversary to the law faculty, and thanks for letting me join the party.

No comments:

Post a Comment