Thursday, November 1, 2012

Sick Day(s)

My family’s adjustment to Sofia went well.  At least for the first 28 hours or so…

After arriving – exhausted – back in Sofia on Thursday afternoon, we got settled in and started exploring a bit.  On Friday morning we took a walk to Zaimov Park to enjoy yet another unusually warm and clear day.  I spent the middle part of the day preparing to teach, and my class went well.  It was nice to see my students and tell them a bit about my adventures in Montana U.S.A.  The primary content for class was an introduction to the Anglo-American legal system, and we had some great discussions comparing this with the Bulgarian system.

So, I was feeling good about things on the walk home after class.  It didn’t last, though, as I was greeted with the news that my daughter was ill.  A long night of dealing with flu-like symptoms was followed by a very quiet and calm Saturday around the house.  She seemed to be feeling better by late Saturday, so we went ahead with a planned trip to IKEA on Sunday to buy some home furnishings and supplies.  It was a nice outing, and we ate at the restaurant there.

Unfortunately, we were not out of the woods.  My wife started feeling ill on Sunday night, and by the time she was starting to improve on Monday it was my turn.  So, our first several days in Sofia were not ideal, and it set me back on some rather ambitious work goals.  On the other hand, whatever it was that each of us had seemed to come and go quickly, and we made it through without having to make a trip to the doctor.  Hopefully, we’ve all gotten it out of our systems and are set for a healthy winter!

No comments:

Post a Comment